Fretless bass decision/suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eli M., Jul 24, 2004.

1. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    Hi everyone, I'm new at the Forum and I have a question.

I am looking to purchase a fretless bass (4-string). My primary bass is a Fender American Deluxe Jazz - I tried the fretless version and didn't like it. I have also played the Godin A4 fretless and enjoyed it. I like Warwick basses although I've never played a fretless one.

One requirement is that the bass must not have fret markings of any kind (I also play double bass and I feel it would be distracting). Although I've noticed that most fretless basses have them. My spending limit is about $1500. Any suggestions of what I should check out would be greatly appreciated.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    No side markings i.e. dots? I don't I have ever seen a fretless like that, nor would I want/be able to play it.
  3. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a Warwick Corvette fretless that sounds and plays great. It does have side dots on the fingerboard but at least it is not a lined fretless. You could get rid of the side dots with a Sharpie or some other black stain/pigment. I hardly ever notice them on my bass.
  4. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    G&L 2000 with ebony Fingerboard, they play awsome, sound great ( very deep sounding )

has side dots, but once again, you could probly fix it up, or order one threw your local distributor without sidedots.
  5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I to play only unlined fretless basses.
    I asumme, you have side dots on neck?
    Are a few very good fretless basses in the $1500.00 range.
  6. Not sure Ive seen a fretless without at least dots on the side of the neck..personally I like them that Id guess in the budget you're working with you'll most likely have to settle for that or have it modified as everyone already stated.
    Good Luck in your quest!
  7. Japanese Fender fretless Jazzes have unlined boards, while fretless American P's from the 70s are unlined from what I've seen. Both can be had used for way less than 1500.
  8. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Hello-New to the site.
    I started on acoustic as well and my first fretless was a brand new Kramer DMZ 5000 w/alum neck-still have it too!!!
    Anyway-I am totally sold on the Warwick Thumb Neck Thru. You can probably find one used for the right price. They have a very deep rounded tone and can be funky as well. I had a four, now I have a five, no fretlines but markers (don't ever recall seeing basses without) as well as a fretted five.