1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless bass epoxy help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Leslie123, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Leslie123

Leslie123

Oct 17, 2009
    They didn't have System 3 epoxy at the store I was at, so I asked for a substitute and they gave me "Shellac Traditional Finish and Sealer".

IS THIS STUFF OKAY TO USE!??!

:help:

Thanks in advance.

2. I have absolutely no idea, however, shellac is a very very different substance than epoxy.

An educated guess would say that shellac would be the equivalent to the finish on the back of your neck rather than an epoxy.

3. Leslie123

Leslie123

Oct 17, 2009
    Would that be a bad thing? Should I find a harder substance?

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I would not shellac a fretless fingerboard.

5. It isn't so much the hardness of the material, it's more about durability.

The epoxy is kind of like a hard rubber type of material.
    Just like the tires on your car, it isn't very hard, but it is very durable. As the strings grind into it, it can sort of spring back after a while.

6. Leslie123

Leslie123

Oct 17, 2009
    Okay thanks for the help, I think I'm going to have to go back and get something else.

7. Shellac is very easy to use and gives a great finish but if you're looking for durability because you want to use roundwounds on a fretless fingerboard, then epoxy is your best bet. I've gotten great results using Envirotex Lite.

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Shellac is not hard enough or durable enough for this application.
    Epoxy has two parts... hardener and resin. I have not heard of three part epoxy. Readily available. You can order it on the web. Nasty stuff. Do some reading before you try this.

9. System Three is the name of the company.
    http://www.systemthree.com/

10. This is the epoxy we use at work for gluing medical device parts together - Loctite 0151 2-part epoxy. Has a long fixture time, almost an hour, and full cure is generally achieved in 24 hours. We cure our parts in a large walk-in oven at 135 degrees F to speed things up and it usually takes about an hour for full cure. It mixes to a cream color and is extremely hard at full cure. I plan on using this stuff when the time come for me to do my own fretless.

http://tinyurl.com/yfuylvl

11. arambass

arambass

Jul 3, 2002
    dfw
    Try to find clear casting resin,,,it looks like a sheet of glass on the fret board

12. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    I would buy some fiberglass resin and use that. I have done a few fretless necks with good results. You will have to tape the sides and end of the neck to hold the resin in untill it cures because it will flow level on the fretboard. When cured remove tape and use files to shape the radius. Use a long carpenters level with fine sandpaper glued to it to level the fretboard when done.