Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FretLess BASs has been without strings for OVER a YEAR!!HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cornellius, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Cornellius

Cornellius

Jan 5, 2004
    Dallas,Texas
    i'm planning to put some fresh strings on a mim fretless jazz i have. the problem is i have had it with no strings for quite a while now....what problems will i be facing? i have read gary willis's article, by the way, and it was quite helpful

2. If the neck was in working order when it was put up, I think it should be OK now. There will be a period that it will be "setting in" with the new bolt up but after that, it should settle down.

You might hear creaks and maybe some light pops as things get stressed in the opposite direction. Don't get too concerned there. I would adjust the TR as soon as it gets strung up and let it sit with only some light play for a day or so. Keep checking on it. These lesser expensive necks are sometimes much more flexible than others. Not to say they can't be setup but in my experience, they take a little extra time and care to get just right.

Then again it could snap right off in your hands and poke an eye out!:D