1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless bass nut fileing down?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mikedones, Sep 14, 2008.

1. mikedones

mikedones

Sep 14, 2008
    mike dones
    I have a mim fretless jazz bass

The original nut was pretty low to the neck.

And i bought a new one to replace,but its must higher then the original one.

Now is it important to have it low as you can to the neck if so how much do it has to stick out??

Thanks

2. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    When I first got my mim Fretless Jazz the nut was so low that the g string was rubbing and biting into the fret board. I took it in and got it fixed.
    Not sure if there is an absolute number though.

3. You want about a papers thickness (or less) of clearance when fretting at the 3rd or 4th fret.

4. mikedones

mikedones

Sep 14, 2008
    mike dones
    Thanks that helps and gives me an idea what do to.

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I personaly use a feeler gauge as a file stop. If the fingerboard was properly planed so there are no humps in it, your strings must only be high enough to clear the end of the fingerboard. using a feeler guage as a measuring/finling stop will allow you to get it uniform across all the strings. I believe that the nut should be as low as possible (without buzzing the board). This improves intonation as well because you are having to bend the string pushing it down to fret (so to speak) the first few frets.

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    When you say it was pretty low, was it clearing the fingerboard?

7. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I'm going to filing my nut for my defret project soon (today I hope) and this is really helpful!

8. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Fretlessboy: Do you use any specific thickness gauge? I was considering buying a "sparkplug" guage from a dicount auto parts by my house since the guage gets some pretty thin measurements....I just don't know which measurement would be best.

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    .015 is my nut height of choice for fretless. My tool kit is my other halves van from when I did some mobil stuff yester. I will check that tonight.
    With a set of guages, you can take it doen in perfect increments so if it isn't low enough... chage guages