1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FRETLESS BASS RECOMENDATIONS http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/help.gif

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by apd758, Apr 26, 2009.

1. apd758

apd758

May 19, 2008
    Youngstown, Ohio

Hi, I have played electric bass for 9 years, but only on fretted basses. Only a few times have I been able to play around on a fretless bass, but I think I am ready to buy one for myself. I think I want to get a six string fretless, however I'm not sure yet. My budget is around $600

Any reco:help:mendations?

2. apd758

apd758

May 19, 2008
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Screwed up the smiley, sorry. ha

3. funkmangriff

funkmangriff

Dec 29, 2007
    play a few and then decide!

i hate threads like this.

my advice- buy a fretless bass thats around $600

although for me, id buy a cheaper one first to see if i like playing a fretless bass. i baught a fretless neck for a fender jazz copy, it fitted perfectly and about 2 months after doing it i found that i hated playing fretless basses.

could well be $600 wasted, but i say go for it if its wat u want!

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Used Carvin.

5. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    I'm just going to say go find a fretless bass that feels good to you. No two players are alike, and there are tons fretless basses out there. I suggest doing a search, looking at fretless basses, going out to some shoppes, playing, and getting a cheap one that feels good so you can decide whether or not you actually like fretless basses. Some approach it as a normal bass with a different sound, others as a completely different instrument. After that, get used to it, positions and everything, trying to make everything sound clean... or however you want it to sound I suppose. Then if you decide that you like fretless, some people are mainly fretless players. You can go out and buy a "better" fretless bass which I put in quotes for... well why ruin the surprise? Go do a search. You'll get everything.

6. Cyber Soda

Cyber Soda

Sep 24, 2008
    Surely that didn't answer your question, but you know.

7. GregBass1979

GregBass1979

Feb 26, 2008
    Placentia,Ca
    Yeah A used Carvin LB-75 with Koa Wood if you can find one will be nice. But I'd still go with an SX lined fretless if you are a fretted player, then stick some aftermarket pickups in there and you will sound better than the Carvin.

8. I've heard Brice's are pretty decent fretless budget bassses
    I mean you can take a used ibanez 706/506 and defret them yourself too

9. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Used Fender MIM Jazz fretless would be a great bass for that price.

10. Squier VM fretless Jazz. Well within your budget. :bassist:

11. Cort B4FL

End of story.

12. Well, I was in your shoes about this time last year when I stumbled upon Wishbass. I bought one mainly b/c I have never custom ordered a bass in my time. So... I've had it about a year now and would bring to practice every once in awhile, play it home, used it at an open jam as the stand in bass player one night just to try break myself in. Tonight, I had a first. I used it to record a song that is going to be on my bands' new album later on this year. It was a big win for me as a bass player. I think it's time to bring it out full time.:hyper: