1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fretless bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mr. Earl, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Mr. Earl

Mr. Earl

Sep 13, 2008
    I play a 1978 4001 fretless Rick. I like the sound of roundwound (I used Roto-sound roundwounds and gouged my neck) strings before using some Dean Markley half-round strings with a 107 E-string which they do not make anymore. Do any fretless players have a good string for me to use, I like the heavier strings (hard to find thicker than 105 E-string) and love the sound of round wounds although i can't use them on my bass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

From a Stanley, Jaco, Billy and Geddy fan.

2. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    All the dude's you just mentioned use(d) Rotosound round-wounds, including Jaco. Jaco used an epoxied fingerboard, which might be your solution.

3. I have used D'Addario Half Rounds .110-.50 on my fretless with a .130 from an XL set for the low B.

4. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    if the fingerboard is sometype of wood. I tend to go with TI Flats.

as mentioned above the players you listed use round wound if that's what you dig check into getting your neck an epoxy treatment

5. Compression-wound rounds might be something to look at. They still might chew at your board, but not as badly as regular rounds.

6. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    D'Addario Half Rounds on mine.
    Actually happy with sound, feeling and fingerboard (ebony) wear....

However, can never stop experimenting - looking forward to reports on Rotosound compression wounds ;)

7. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    you can buy any single string you want from juststrings.com. I prefer roundwound 43,65,85,110 for my epoxy fretless. 110 is great for my d-tuner.

8. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I use D'Addario XL nickels on my Pedulla. It has a finished fingerboard and gets a nice buzzy growl. You should try them if you haven't yet.

9. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I wasn't aware it was safe to use high tension strings on a 70s Ric 4001? (I thought that was a main point of the 4003's release)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.