Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Bass Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hookha, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Hookha

Hookha

Nov 6, 2005
    what the different between freted to fretless in the technique?
    how i need to play on a fretless?
    you have a video or something to show my the fretless technique?

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Fretless you need to have perfect intonation. On a fretted bass you can finger anywhere in the fretbox and the string will stay press again the fret. On a fretless you have to finger in the EXACT area. Some are right on the fretline and some are right behind the fretline. Working with a fretless will only improve your overall bass playing. It will make you more precise. But it takes time. It took me about 3 weeks to be able to play a fretless well.

3. pafriend

pafriend

Sep 21, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are fretless specific techniques you will need to learn to get the most out of the instrument. I have yet to find a fretless training video that's useful, which is why I am trying to annoy Rufus Philpot enough so he'll make one to shut me up. I have heard that Gary Willis did one that is pretty good, but I haven't been able to find it.

Check out garywillis.com, he has some good tips there, as well as a few video clips. His 101 bass tips book has a few fretless specific tips in it.

The best thing you can do for yourself is find an instructor that REGULARLY plays a fretless, and can teach you proper technique. Bad habits on a fretless sound awful.

4. A good, quick way to get better, if not good intonation is playing to a fixed tone - be it on a recording, a piano/guitar or an open string - this is the best way to begin to hear the subtle differences of where your fingers should be in relation to the position on the neck. As much as some don't like or recommend lined fretless necks - I use one myself but also listen hard - it's still possible to play in tune without lines - but the variation in finger position is noticable in different places on the neck.

5. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I agree with Mike......use open strings to check your intonation as much as possible, practice in the dark, play along with cd in the dark and you will truly find out how good your intonation really is....I am beginning this practice method and am finding it really helps develope your ear. In a '98 Bass Player, I believe it was Steve Baily, said that one of his students consistantly practiced fretless this way.