Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by obsvr, May 4, 2001.

1. obsvr

obsvr

May 4, 2001
    Having been palying around as an occassional bass opklayer in my group... so.. considering getting an acoustic/electric instrument. Have considered a "fretless" model. Pros / cons?
    Can anyone give me feedback?
    Thanks, Roc

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Fretless is commonly considered more difficult because it doesen't have frets to keep you precisely on tune; you have to use your ears for that. Fretlined models are better for beginners, they have lines where the frets would be so you can look where the finger goes. Ofcourse if you have previous experience with fretless instruments ie violin or cello or similar fretless will be much easier. The other thing with fretless is, they aren't very popular among bands because of their tone.

Main problem with semi-acoustic is, you don't really get enough sound out to play with bands, you need amp for that. Perhaps it would be wiser to invest on 'standard' bass and amp, but it's your decision.

If you decide to go with solid-body bass, Yamaha has couple nice entry level fretlined basses, check em out if they would feel good to you.

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    obsvr --

The reason to get a fretless is the tone and the expressive capabilities. If you plan to play/sound like that, then by all means fo for it -- the playing-in-tune thing is, while not negligible, within reach of most people with a half-decent ear.

However, if you just want to hit the roots and tone is not that important to you or your prospective bandmates, then fretless may be signing up for an unnecessary additional hunk of effort.

I myself LOVE playing fetless and by no means have conquered playing in tune. But I'm doing well enogh to have fun and please the people I play with, so I'm happy with my choice.