1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff St. Germaine, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Well, it looks like I'll be needing a fretless bass. Checked out a few while I was on spring break, and man, I have been missing out!!

So now it comes down to what to get. I checked out an F Bass Alain Caron Signature 5, when I stopped by the F Bass shop in Hamilton last week...Really sweet bass....but...too expensive for my tastes. It was about $5500, so I am saying no to it.

Here is where you guys come in, mostly I am looking to Canadian talkbassers, but comments from the American neighbours are more than welcome. I am looking for something in the $2500-$3500 range. This eliminates many south of the border brands, as the dollar is so bad right now that it blows a Pedulla Pentabuzz (I played one...nice) up to $4000. I wouldn't even want to think what a Sonus would cost (as I have never seen a CDN dealer of Zons, I would have to say about $3000 x 1.6). So, I am really interested in Canadian builders.

That said, I kinda want to get away from Dingwall, not that I don't like them, in fact I love them, but the fanned frets don't come across to me as very forgiving on a fretless. I am thinking either Kinal of F Bass.

For F Bass, it would be the BNF5, which would be at the upper bracket of my limit, at around $3500..

For Kinal, it would be the DK5-B, which strikes me as being similar to the Alain Caron, with the chambered body and spruce top.

Just wondering if anyone has played or has either of these (it is a long shot on the Kinal, I know..but mayber Xavier has played this model, or can comment in general).

Thanks
    Geoff