Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless basses Which to choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Primus=cool, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Primus=cool

Primus=cool

Mar 19, 2004
    I have been searching for a fretless bass right for men and now I need some input, Companies I have been thinking about Are, Carl Thompson, Roscoe and I like Modulus also, Any others you like? Post, Your thoughts on companies above Post?

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    zon

f

3. I've heard Roscoe's have a great fretless tone. Modulus do as well. Little different though.

Have you thought of F Bass?

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

How about:
    F-Bass
    Ken Lawrence Chamberbass
    MTD

Dan K.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Don't plan on getting a Thompson unless you know where a used one is.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    If you're into CT basses, then you'll probably dig DHuff, Eshenbaugh, and Browne basses. Ritter makes similar-looking basses too. I'm still waiting on my first DHuffs and have a Browne on the way to try out...so I can't offer any first-hand critiques of their instruments yet. They are great guys, though, and I'm expecting a LOT out of their instruments once they finally arrive in a couple of weeks. I HAVE had experience with Eshenbaugh basses, though, but keep in mind that I'm also a dealer for Mark. While I don't think that this fact has an impact on whether I would recommend a bass or not, there are those who do feel this way, so just keep that in mind.

Otherwise, there are a LOT of great builders out there who make pheeeeenom fretless basses. Give us a better idea of the tone you're going for and the types of basses you like and don't like...that will help your fellow TBers make more informed and accurate recommendations.

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    All in one word:

ROSCOE :hyper:

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have had great experiences with F bass, Roscoe and Zon- also Pedulla makes a nice fretless, i played a fretles Alembic Trip Wamsley owns and it was killer-- and that Nordstrand 4 banger was great as well..

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Although there are many great choices, I'll put my bid in for Roscoe. Keith Roscoe is really known for his fretless basses.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I second/third/fourth the Roscoe fretless. I have an LG-3005 with a Spanish Cedar body and a diamondwood fingerboard. Shortly after I got it, I sold off all my other fretless basses (except for one, that I use exclusively in the studio). This Roscoe is absolutely the best fretless bass I've ever played, and I've had a hundred of 'em (well, plus or minus ten), including Alembics, Smiths, F's, Zon's, MusicMan's, and yes, even Fenders. The very first bass I ever owned was a Dan Armstrong short scale fretless with a Lucite body, that's the one I learned on. Anyway, after I got the Roscoe, all the others seemed superfluous. They were just lying around, and never got played anymore. Every time I pick up the Roscoe, I don't want to put it down. It's miles ahead of the rest of the pack. That diamondwood is a superb playing surface, it's punchy and precise, and it has mwah for days. Did I mention that I'm totally in love with my Roscoe? :)

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sooo...ya' like those Roscoes, do ya'? :D I can't say anything bad about any Roscoe I've come across yet, and have really enjoyed working with Keith. Great guy, great basses! :smug:

12. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Easy...Zon. And go with the special pickups/electronics. Enhanced low-mids are always good for fretless.

Dave

13. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Zon is good !
    Great tone for a fretless. Very even and growly tone (especially the Special). Nice tight B. Great feel.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    true dat on the Zons!!

15. adrian, you're gonna let me borrow the zon so i can see if i like it, right? right? ;)

i saw a local pittsburgh band a few years ago, and the bass player had a fretted zon... the only thing i remember about that show was his tone! monstrous. still like to get my hands on a roscoe fretless. :bawl:

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If I wasn't getting a Benavente... a fretless Ritter would be my first look (Zon and MTD close behind)

although I've always had mild Pedulla fretless GAS since about 1990 :cool:

17. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Just ordered a fretless Elite 6 Smith....So you know my answer.;-)

18. enbee

enbee

May 10, 2003
    I have a rob allen mb-2 and its an amazing bass.

19. Fo

dera.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for Zon. My Zon fretless is the best sounding I have ever played.