1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fretless basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 23, 2006.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    okay..so i have a quistion about fretless basses (i kinda feel like i'm asking what the difference is between j pups and p pups, haha, but oh well). i've noticed with a fretless bass i've played in an old guitar store, the neck (finger/fretboard) was dull and felt to me like the neck of a double bass..wich i liked (it had no fret lines). then a few weeks later my favorite guitar store got a fender fretless bass in (some cheap thing). and when i played it, i noticed the neck (finger/fretboard) was smooth and glossy, and i really disliked it (and it had fret lines). now was the original bass just a very old fretless where the fingerboard was worn down..or are fretless basses sold differnetly, some haveing the double bass like finger board..and some being glossy? if they are sold different, what would you call each difference in finger board? is it just that lined basses are glossy and unlined are double bass like?

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal

First off, if no one has done this already, Welcome to TB! :D

I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is the difference between a coated, and non-coated fingerboard.

The coated one would be the glossy one you described. The coating is usually on there to protect the wood being that the fingerboard is made of a softer and less durable wood. I'm guessing rosewood?

The non-coated one would be the dull one and odds are it was made of a harder wood (like ebony) and just doesn't need the protection from string wear like a rosewood board does. You can have lines on either kind depending on who makes it.

Hope that helped ya out:)

3. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    totally and 100% answered me, thanks man. and also thanks for the welcome, i've been here for a couple weeks already but your the first person to welcome me, lol.

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    they have glossy coats that come from epoxy treatment. epoxy is uber hard and protects the fingerboard, and it probably does something to the sound, but i don't really know much about it.

5. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm acutally curious if anyone's determined how much differnce epoxy makes on the tone of the same bass, and if so in what way?

6. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    It's funny, I've heard that epoxy makes a difference from a bunch of different people and that it's noticable, but no one ever says in what way the sound changes:p

I'd venture a guess that it'd make the bass a little brighter being that it's so hard.

7. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Much brighter. I epoxied an SX and the sound changed a lot. (Plus it turned the neck white..... weird, but cool.)