Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ConklinRules, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Hi !

I play bass for 12 years now but I never touched a fretless bass.
    Now I want to get one, which bass can you recommend, with which did you have good experiences.
    Another question : "A fretless' bass fingerboard, is it flat like a fretted bass' or is it arched like a violin's ?

2. Well, electric bass fingerboards are curved (radiused) like a voilins, but to a much lesser extent. Manufacturors list the fingerboard radius usually. A lager number (larger circle) is a flatter board. As far as buying an instrument, how much are you willing to spend?

-Chris

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would imagine a Conklin would please you.

JT has a few killer ones that if you havent seen yet, will certainly make you drool.

Aside from that, I love playing the MM Sterling fretless with piezo PUs at my local guitar center, and the Cort Curbows are pretty sweet for a good price.

Pedullas are killer fretless basses, and so are Zons on the higher end of the spectrum.

Peace
    Nick

4. Yes also thought about a Conklin but this would cut a big hole in my moneybag =).
    I saw this awesome 8-string fretless of JT with this striped purpleheart/ebony fretboard... O_O.
    Perhaps a normal Conklin GT 7 String Fretless will make the run

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi!
    Since you're in Germany, check out the German fretless makers.
    The Le Fay Remington is killer, and so is Marleaux, Jens Ritter, Bassline, BassCulture, Human Base etc.

You'll also get more for your money than when you're buying from overseas (freight, tax, customs, etc.).

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I didnt realize you were across the big pond as they say over here.

Oh wait, we dont say that.

Well anyways... I think the frteless GT-7 should be cool but I think there is a signature Bill Dickens model that might be worth checking out. It has a few more features.

Im amazed at the numebr of incredible German lutiers I hear about. Most of the designs are amazing, and from what Ive heard, are worth checking out. Of course I have no idea how much they cost since I dont know the exchange rates.

Peace
    Nick

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dollar : Euro is pretty much 1 : 1 (1 Euro is 1.95583 DM)

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Been playing 12 years ... owns a 9-string Conklin ... never so much as picked up a fretless?

8x15 + 6x10 cabs?

:eek: :confused:

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the fretless is bubinga and wenge on the fretboard. the fretted 8 is walnut and purple heart

those fretlesses are very nice, except for the lines. they sound great, and play well too. definitely worth the money.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wonder if this guy knows warriorbass?

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah...odd that they joined within a day of each other...