Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless books.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ric young, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Can anybody reccomend a book or guide to help me get the most out of my Westone fretless bass. It need not be a beginner style book as I am relatively competant. It seems a shame to play normal bass lines on a guitar which could do much more. Are there any good recorded artists which may inspire my playing to greater heights.

2. Don't know of any books that deal specifically with fretless playing, but as far as recordings, there used to be a dude named Jaco who was a reasonable player :D . I don't think he's on the scene anymore--it could be that he's dead. Also check out Pino Palladino.

3. ;) All of MY books have frets....

But seriously, check out playing by Alain Caron. He uses both fretted and fretless, and he's the one whose playing first turned me on to the George Furlanetto's F Bass line.

Click here for Alain Caron's website

Lots of clips, including video.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Steve Bailey has a book for fretless studies, as far as fretless bass players go check out
    Percy Jones
    Pino Paladino
    Jaco Pastorius
    Alain Cairon
    Bakithi Kamalo
    Keith Jones
    Steve Bailey
    Gary Willis
    Mike Manring
    Trip Wamsley
    And there are a good number of fretted players
    that sound very nice on Fretless as well.
    HAVE FUN