1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless build help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pep, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Pep

Pep Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I'm currently building a passive fretless bass from some items I've pickup up on eBay. I've build other basses before but this a new animal for me so I have several questions.
    Here's what I have so far:
    Mighty Mite Fretless Neck w/Ebonol Fretboard
    Jazz Bass copy body (alder)

The electronics and hardware came with the body but they are an inexpensive aftermarket products so I'm going to be replacing the pots, jack and pickups.
    I'm planning on purchasing Seymour Duncan Quarter-Pound Jazz pickups. I'm eventually running the strings through the body for more sustain so I'll be drilling and boring for string ferrules, but for right now I'm probably going to use the stock bridge.

So here are the questions I have. Let me know if there
    is a reasonable supplier for these items.

(1) What brand and value pots should I purchase and from whom?

(2) What do you recommend for a bridge and from whom?

(3) The bored holes in the neck head for the tuners are .710 so I'm assuming that 11/16" diameter tuners are the right ones to fit, Correct? Please recommend a brand and source.

(4) Last but not least I know there are several ways I can go with strings (roundwound, flatwound and tapewound).
    Which one do you recommend and what brand?

Thanks in advance for your help!