1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FRETLESS buzz on 3rd and 5th ?? need help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by z_nyo, Sep 19, 2008.

1. z_nyo

z_nyo

Mar 10, 2008
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Hi guys...

Just recently bought my first fretless, a cort curbow 4 with Ebonol fingerboard. Sounds phenomenal for the price...however, I'm experiencing some buzz problem especially around 3rd and 5th 'fret' position on the E string only.

I did my own setup and I like my action quite low but not too low. I loosen the truss rod but the buzz still exist...

NOTE: the buzz basically happens when the note is decaying away (few moments after the initial pluck)....is it normal or simply just setup issues ?

Thanks

Andreas

2. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Sounds to me like the fingerboard needs to be leveled.

Ralf

3. shubball

shubball

Sep 11, 2008
    whenever you buy a new bass you should say to the sales assistnat "I'm only interested in buying this if it can have a free set up"

they always say yeah, and you get a professional set up for nothing, and if it buzzes after that - it is their fault and they have to re do it.

To me though it sounds like the nut is either two low on the E string, or the set up needs to be re done for the E string.

Is the intonation perfect?

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    It is not the nut or the buzzing would occur open only. It sounds to me like there is a few high or low spots in the board on the "E" side of the fingerboard. Try placing a smaill shim in the neck to cock the neck forward so the angle coming off the string changes. Sometimes that is enough to do it. Otherwise, you may just have to have it planed flat.

5. z_nyo

z_nyo

Mar 10, 2008
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I'll try shimming the neck...I'm going to take the bass to professional luthier tomorrow and see what's going on..

The bass intonates perfectly though. Some of my friends told me that the buzz is normal on a fretless with low action...is it true ?? Never played fretless before so I have no idea...

Thanks guys