Fretless buzz...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sal_Paradise, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Odey dode, I gotst me some fretless buzz. But only at the 6th and 12th fret of the E. I thought I'd ask the pros before I did anything rash.
  2. I agree...

If your eye is very good and you look up the fingerboard from the bridge end, you may be able to see it.

If you have a high quality straight edge on hand, you can lay this against the fingerboard, too. (Of course you can't check this with any relief bow on the neck, so you'll have to take the tension off of all the strings, first.

It's possible that the board is worn in those spots, or just uneven for other reasons. A good luthier will be able to fix you up. In the mean time, raise the action 'til it stops. Fretlesses require routine fingerboard maintenance anyway.
  3. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm curious about this because a local longtime guitar tech was checking out my fretless and exclaimed "Wow, the board is so flat" like it was a bad thing...

I mean this board is flat as can be and I love the way it plays, so I'm not disagreeing. But I wonder why a tech would say that?

How much of it is the mechanics of getting an electric fretless to play properly, compared to personal preference?

BTW, my neck is a factory fretless, not a de-fret job.
  4. It is also possible that the tech may have been making a random observation referring to the the radius of the fingerboard rather than the relief in the neck. It is hard to say.
  5. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Right, he was refering to the radius (or lack thereof), not the "flatness". Sorry, I mis-read the thread...