Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funk98, Dec 20, 2005.

1. funk98

funk98

Aug 5, 2005
    Plymouth, WI
    Hey,
    I just put a frettless neck on my fender jazz bass and when i play higher end notes i hear a weird buzz sound, i changed my action but nothing, what else can i do to stop it?

2. Maybe he has the dreaded(by some :rolleyes: )'MWAAAH'!
    Seriously, if you were not aware of or after this sound, it could make you wonder what's wrong w/this thing? Agreed, Joshua, that it's hard to tell from the available information.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    1) Remove the strings and try to adjust the truss rod so there is no relief.
    2) lay a straightedge (metal yardstick works well) along the fingerboard to see if there are any high spots. With no relief there should be no light between the straightedge and board at the 5th-7th fret. The two should touch or be very close over the entire length.
    3) If the board looks good I would suspect the action is too low although fretless action can be pretty low. If you have high spots, I would recommend having it professionally sanded although you can do it yourself with a lot of patience. :bag:

4. funk98

funk98

Aug 5, 2005
    Plymouth, WI
    the neck was an old squire jazz neck which i took off the frets, filled in the grooves with epoxy, and sanded it down till smooth, then put a coat of varnish to make it look nice. Im not sure how a fretless sounds so i might think it sounds wrong when it doesnt...but i dont know

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I absolutely guarantee your fingerboard is not straight. "Smooth" is not the same as "straight". Consider the above advice. It will cost you 1 hour. A correct fretless fingerboard should allow low action with no buzz. :D

6. funk98

funk98

Aug 5, 2005
    Plymouth, WI
    alright, thanks for all the help guys, i'll see if i can get this beast to work :smug: