Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless buzzing at first fret.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MMcC, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    What does this mean. I'm new to fretless bass but I'm not new to setups. Is it a neck relief thing, or maybe a nut thing? Are fretless necks supposed to be straight?

2. I set mine dead flat for max "muah"

3. Usually , fret buzz at the 1st fret is an indicator that the neck needs a touch of relief. It sometimes happens when the neck is pulled into a backbow when the truss is too tight..

Mag...

4. also, what strings are you using? Different gauges / mfgrs have different tensions that could affect the relief also.

5. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Factory D'addarios flats are on there right now. The neck looks like it's OK on relief. There's even the slightest gap at the 7th fret when I hold down the A string at both ends of the fretboard. Should I loosen it a little anyway?

6. what kind of bass is this and what style you play?

7. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    It's an SX. Those dirt cheap budget knock off models. (Should I just stop there?) It's my first fretless. I just wanted an introduction to get started and learn. I've been playing bass for a decade, but always fretted. As far as style, I guess basically just fingerstyle on the bridge pickup preferably, but I've been playing around with different positions since getting the fretless.

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Trust these guys! they helped me out with the same baffling problem! I gave my trussrod a bit of a loosening, and VIOLA!:D

9. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Back again. I loosened the neck and got rid of the first fret buzz mostly. It's still there on the E a little. The thing is though, the action is pretty high. I keep hearing that you can get away with pretty low action on a fretless. Some say they keep the neck straight. Any insight?

10. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Until you take a straightedge to that neck you won't know for sure what is causing it. You could have a high spot in the fingerboard up near the 1st fret. My experience with 2 different fretless SX J basses was that the necks needed a levelling. They had some pretty nasty dips and humps.

11. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    In regards to measuring the relief: no feeler guages but with the A fretted at both ends of the fretboard I eyeballed 1/16 of an inch. Less than what i've got on my fretted basses. Should I aim higher? Haven't checked for the shim. Open strings seem to be fine. I'm still looking for less buzz and lower action. What's next? PS. I appreciate the help. Really.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    As, the man said: measure. Or have a luthier-type do it. You can have scads of relief and if there is a sufficient high spot it'll continue to cause problems.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I see Gary still isn't consistent on how he spells it ; }