Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless casady inquiry

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zazz, Oct 26, 2005.

1. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    i have placed an order with tom lee music of hong kong for a black casady. Because they have a sole agency deal on epiphone they have to order it for me. Thing is that they cant just order one ..its got to be 6!! So early next year there will a lot of black casadys floating around and im thinking about buying two ...giving one to my luthier to make into an ebony fretboard fretless. Is this a good idea... i havent even seen one of these babies in the flesh let alone played one. My experience with fretless has been a tulipwood wal so i think i might be trading down in that respect but maybe it has tone and edge that might make a whole lot of sense. Comments please.

ps of couse im gonna play my one before i pull the trigger on a second.

2. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've got a goldtop Cassady and if I can find another used one cheap enough I would love to convert it to a fretless. Maybe even a telescoping end pin. The low end of the instrument is to die for and it has some of the same tone of an upright. Slap on some tapewounds and look out.

Let me know if you try it!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds Good, Go For It. :bassist:

4. I've been toying with the idea of making my sunburst Jackbass into a fretless for years, but haven't done it yet. The tone these basses have almost begs for it.

I love the idea of an ebony board. :cool:

I was just playing mine last night.

Mike ;)

5. I was just looking at a old thread last night about the same idea. I don't own a Casady, although i would like to get one sometime and was searching about them. put in a search and you should be able to find it.

My $0.02, I think it would make and excellent bass with an awesome tone. Like mentioned earlier, Tapewounds!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think it would lend nicely to the fretless tone. Tapewounds would do it very well.

I'd kill for a Jackbass, but I don't have the moolah.