Fretless Cirus 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Found one for ~$899US(!). Sounds like a deal, what do you guys think? I talked to the guy who owned it before. He said he picked it up played it at band practice a few times then realized he isnt a fretless player so he traded it in. I was playing it through my soon-to-be-new rig and it sounded sweet. I checked out the whole bass and it looks great and I didnt see any dinks, dents or scratches so... I know that there is the "Cirrus Club" around here so tell me why I should or should not get this.

Thanks, Nate

PS: Nobody around here knows if what the warranty is on this, do you? Does the warranty stay if the owner changes?
  2. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    The warranty is for 1 year. However, you can apply for the "extended warranty' by filling out the included extended warranty paperwork or registering online at (no additional charge). I'm not sure how long the extended warranty is - I *think* it's only for an additional 2 years (for a total of 3 years).

But in your case, it will be a moot point. According to the paperwork I got with my Cirrus, "...this limited warranty is extended only to the original retail purchaser..."

Assuming the bass is in like-new condition, that's not a bad price at all.

good luck!

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. If it is in mint condition like you say, then I say go for it. Brand new, you are probably looking at around anywhere from $1200-1400 (sometimes more, sometimes less) for a fretless Cirrus 5, so $900 for a used/as new one isn't a bad deal.

As far as the warranty, I am not sure. You can just email Peavey's customer service dept. and I am sure they can answer your question.

4. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't really know what would go bad on it anyway. I'd think the warrenty wouldn't really matter.

Go for it!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Anything "could" go wrong. Stuff happens.

Given that, I'm not aware of any recurring problems with Cirrus basses. IME they've been extremely well made, extremely stable instruments.

I'd offer them $800;)
  6. I grabed mine (bubinga 5 fretted) from GC used less than a year old, mint for $800 including the case. Of course the tried to charge me $1,000...
  7. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    you sly fox you... :D
  8. good news and a a hundred bucks taken off cause im not going to put it on layaway. also, I talked to the guy today and I asked him if he could string it with a high C. he said that it is possible but there is the chance that there may be a problem becuase of the nut grooves. do you think this would pose a big problem?

Thanks, Nate

PS: gettin it tonight(!!!)
  9. He isnt going to do anything to it except change the strings. he isnt replacing the nut. I am just wondering if that will be a problem. ie. buzz agianst the fretboard... would it work without a new nut?
    thanks, nate
  10. what do you recommend then, should i keep the b on there and try to find someone to put a new nut on? i dont know of anyone off hand that does that kinda stuff...anywhere on the net to find out? Thanks, nate