Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless coating, HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    last night (10:00pm) I put a coat of minwax polyureythane on me defretted essex. It's been sitting for a long time now, and it still has yet to settle well. It's now 4:00pm (next day) and it is still VERY sticky. Sticky enough that you cannot run your hand down it, and it will leave finger prints if you touch it. Is this normal? or should I do something about it? I've put too much time into this bass, so I'm just taking percausions. thankyou

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Is it sitting in a warm, dry environment? I used some polyester resin, which is different, I know, once on another project and it literally took several days to dry. My apt. gets humid in the winter though. For whatever reason it just hasn't fully dried apparently. All you can do aside from getting it into some heat is give it more time.

brad cook

3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    you nailed it! I did it in my garage last night, and we have a large rain storm going on. It's in my boiler room right now, with the dryer on.Should I just keep checkin on it, and wait till its done?

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    when i de-fretted my p-bass(dont worry it was'nt a fender:eek: )i finished with a couple of coats of poly,and each coat only took like an hour or so to dry.it was'nt any type of "special" fast drying stuff ETC,just plain old poly.matter of fact the tacky feeling was gone after about 1/2 hour.just like the other person said"its probably the humidity" it does have a profound effect on wet finishes.ever think of running a hairdryer over it to help it along ? GOOD LUCK:bassist:

5. I hate to sound like a newbie, but to fretless I am. What is the coating for?

6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    to protect the board from marring and wear, plus it seals it, and it looks really nice. Plus it gives the bass a better sound. (at least I think, I wouldn't know, its not done. :mad: ) STOP RAINING!!!!!!!:spit:

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I used the Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane on my p... We let it sit for like 7 hours between coats, and we put 9 coats on it.

It is freakin bullet proof.

Let that coat dry, then sand it off... and start all over.

8. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    thats exactly what I'm using. silver container, says in yellow letters "fast drying". I guess humidity is just not on my side right now.

9. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I used technology! :)

I have a nice holmes dehumidifier in my basement, set it back up, rested that sucker right in front of my bass neck, and i think it's workin.

10. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    well its 11:16 now, and it's still sticky to the touch :mad: . Hopefully a good night infront of the dehumidifier well help it out. If you got any suggestions, feel free.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    A watched pot never boils! :) Just let it be and check on it tomorrow afternoon. You're going to drive yourself crazy.

I used tung oil on my fretless job btw. I really like the results.

brad cook

12. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I've used the Minwax poly on at least five necks. Each coat should not take more than 4 hours to dry between coats. You can apply successive coats with the undelying layer a little tacky - that actually gives better adhesion. I let the coating dry for about 24 hours before sanding for leveling purposes. 48 hours at the end for hardening before hitting with the roundwounds. 9 coats sounds about right. It is important to do it in a dry area; urethane is somewhat polar; and I wouldn't be surprised if the solvents are hygrosopic and absorb water.

- pt

13. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    1:39 pm, It's shown slight improvement, plus the weather is now permitting. It's a bit humid/sunny out, so eventually everything will dry up, and it should coat nice.

It's not as tacky rite now, but it still leaves a finger print, so its not quite ready. Heres the setup I have right now:

De-humidifier------Highspeed fan-----bass neck

I figure the de-humidifier will suck all the humidity out, the fan will suck the dry air, and blow it on to the neck. I did that overnight and it's showing slight improvement. I guess time will tell, huh....

14. Any updates?

If I try this, should I have my neck in between our de-humidifier and a space heater? or would the Space heater crack the poly?

15. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    just a warning to be careful with putting your wooden necked instruments too near a particular heat source - you lean it up next to a heater, and it could warp the neck. Obviously you need something to dry it, but be careful where you leave it...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

16. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I used a spray polyeurethane on mine. The first coat took DAYS to dry. It was still a little sticky when I steel wooled it and hit it with another coat - which dried in a day or two - but that one I hung out in bright sunlight on the porch when it was much warmer and less humid.

I wonder if acrylic might be a better coating than eurethane - it's harder - and might help the sound a little more. It also dries much much faster.

17. I was thinking of setting my bass on a towel in between the space heater (set on low, and when it reaches a certain temperature, it shuts off) and the de-humidifier.