Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless conversion Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ecwillia, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Ecwillia

Ecwillia

Aug 1, 2004
    I refinished my jazz neck after doing a fretless conversion. The tone and playability are incredible!!! My problem is that I used lacquer w/round wound strings. The strings are eating throught the finish. I want to epoxy the neck but am not sure on how the raduis is effected by this. Please suggestions!!!

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    do it lightly, sand it smooth, should be pretty minimal....or you could always get a radius sanding block..

3. Well, how did the radius get there in the first place?

Pasda has it right. Get a radius block - which is the only way to properly do a defret anyway - and make sure that the fingerboard is right.

4. Ecwillia

Ecwillia

Aug 1, 2004
    I guess my question is actually how to appy to epoxy. Can it be sanded? I've never worked with it before.

5. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    yup. go finer grits as yoiu work it down

6. I would apply a couple of thin coats and let it cure then sand to radius and see what hasn't been coated or where there's imperfections. Then I would coat again a couple more times and resand. You want coverage but you don't necessarily need mucho thickness. The epoxy should be tough enough in a fairly thin but consistent coat. After a couple of cycles of this, you should be coming to a fairly smooth and well shaped top on the fingerboard. At this point I would begin wetsanding with progressive grits to get it polished. Anything 600 grit and above begins to get into the polishing range - below that and you are doing more material removal. You could go all the way through the grits up into the 2000's. By that time your fingerboard should be nearly like glass.

7. Ecwillia

Ecwillia

Aug 1, 2004
    Exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks to both of you-

8. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd think of using flat or tape wounds too.

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    not a problem at all man, good luck with it!