Fretless conversion photos

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    A guy I've corresponded with recently did a nice job of converting a 5 string jazz bass to fretless, and did a great job of photographing and documenting the steps. URL below for those interested, since it a frequent topic of interest:
  2. Thanx Bob, I saw this over on the FDP and was going to post it here but you beat me to it.

This is one of the best illustrated and explained procedures I've ever seen. It will definitely go in the hall of fame.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I have done this twice (defretting a bass) over the years. The second time I made some rosewood dust from an old twisted neck (using a Dremel tool). I filled in the slots with the dust, and coated with self leveling marine epoxy. It turned out great. From a few feet away it appears to have no lines. I like the look better, and the lines are still there if you need them.
  4. That is a great pictorial. I've also done the job twice, the first time I used this method, the second I just filed down the frets, leaving the tangs in as lines. IMO, this is an easier method, takes about three hours and lots of elbow grease, and it leaves perfect lines with no possibility of chips and rough edges.
  5. nekro

Jan 23, 2001
    Cheers for the link guys!!

I have been wanting to convert my bass for some time but have not had the instructions/Pics to do it.