fretless conversion questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeyfinger, Jul 13, 2020.

1. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

I am working with a local luthier to have a bass converted to fretless. The instrument has a macassar ebony board. I asked him to replace the frets with pau ferro strips. The goal here is to give a medium contrast in color and not require a poly finish. He also offered to apply an epoxy finish to the board for a small up-charge. I have some questions for you:

1. Will pau ferro strips be ok with just basic oil finish? Will I have any issues with ebony/pf?
    2. What are you thoughts on an epoxy finish? I am inclined to pass on this. I've never experienced issues with unfinished fretless boards. I don't expect any with the ebony/pf board. I would like to hear about your experience with epoxy finishes.
    Thanks all.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    A decent double bass has an ebony board. No finish.
    Pao Ferro is fine. But any lined board may required occasional maintenance, ie. light sanding to deal with lines that sprout a bit.
    An epoxy-finished board will be a lot brighter sounding than an unfinished board. So it depends on what you are after.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021