A few months ago I was informed I would be getting a divorce, which was a huge bummer. After some time to process I have decided to throw myself into really getting in to building guitars as a hobby. As luck would have it, the craigslist gods saw it fit for me to get a pretty good deal on some gear. Specifically, some fella was moving and decided to get rid of some gear (fo free!) including an MIM jazz neck and a 15" Carvin amp (see https://www.talkbass.com/forums/luthiers-corner.57/create-thread for some pictures). The rub was both of these items did not work. I won't discuss the amp here (since I haven't fixed it yet) but the neck was given the ol' Jaco special and had the frets removed. These frets were likely removed with a pickax (not sure if you can see from the picture, but there were chips out of the rosewood along almost every fret slot). My plan is to make a riff on a fretless jazz bass. I think I'll do a body inspired by a Jazz bass, but I don't want to just make a carbon copy, so I'll be designing over the next couple of days to figure out a good design that won't be overly complicated to make a template for. I have stuff laying around that I plan on using for parts, such as 2 EMG 35hz pickups, either a stock fender bridge or a Hipshot kickass bridge, etc. What I have done so far: I bough some maple veneers and rosewood dust. After cleaning out the fret slots and putting a radius on an edge I inserted them to help with using the rosewood to fill the numerous chunks missing and then applied super glue. In the last picture you can see that I used very thin super glue that flowed easily into the slots. What I didn't realize is that is also flowed easily off the side of the neck and into the little neck holder I just bought, joining the neck to the holder. I pried it off delicately (pulled as hard as I could) and separated them, but some of the cork stuck around. I had planned on taking the finish off the back of the neck anyway, but come on! I just bought this thing. Oh well...All part of the learning experience. After taking the last picture I shaved the veneers down considerably with a chisel and left the glue to dry overnight. Tonight I'll continue working on getting the fretboard sanded down and continue going from there.