Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Cort Curbow 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Im thinking of getting a Cort Curbow 5 String fretless bass for Chrithmass, I happen to own a 6 String fretted C. Curbow.
    I just wanted to know how does it compare to other fretless basses in the price range, and how is the sound quality compared to the 6 String wich has a Bartolini Pickup.

I really wanted a 6 String C. Curbow Fretless but there are none in the market so I will have to settle with a 5 String.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I've had a Curbow 5 fretless for a few months now, and wouldn't part with it. At first I thought I was buying a cheap fretless just to see if I would really like it. Turns out that I not only love fretless, but love the Curbow. The neck fits me perfect, and I can get all the tones I want. I prefer unlined, which is what Curbow offers. Picked mine up in mint condition for $300 on ebay, so don't pay too much for yours.
    Doc

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well. I just made an excellent deal.
    I bought my Cort Curbow Fretless 5 directly from Greg Curbow!!!
    He installed a Bartolini Quad-Coil with 3 position switch to select coils!!
    And also Included the Custom Curbow case!!
    I just cannot tell the price..
    But the base price for the Cort Curbow was $350 and the case was $69

:)
    Im so happy.
    Greg Curbow is a great guy.

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yes!
    Thats how I contacted him and got mine..

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Btw Ifabara,
    I emailed Curbow and he said he could custom convert one of the Cort C 6's to lined fretless. Total cost was like 720 + 80 for case. It might be worth looking into if you really want a fretless 6.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thanks for the info, but a converted fretless will not sound like an unlined fretless, thats why i prefeer to get the 5 String.
    The filling for the slots will change overall stiffness of the neck, and will add resonance spots on the fret slots..

8. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Agreed Ifabara.
    But, if you get an experienced technician and a proper amount of care and lacquer and/or boat epoxy, you can still have the smooth, silky fretless neck.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thats true.
    Anyway..
    Its more money, that makes my savings starve some more time until I can get my XT-33 7 String Custom made by Greg.
    Maybe in August of 2001 I could afford my Custom Made Curbow.