Fretless design help

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by Freddels, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    OK, I'm thinking of ordering a fretless Roscoe. I really, really love the tone of my Roscoe's. I've played fretless for many years and I'm really more comfortable on a 34" scale bass. So here's what I'm thinking so far:

LG3000 (I don't know what the difference with the signature model is) but could be swayed to the SKB.

Diamondwood board
    (leaning toward birdseye maple and probably unlined). I really would like to see some pics of the rainbow and birdseye if they have any boards in stock.​

Roscoe Barts/Bart preamp

The rest I'm up in the air on. Any suggestions? :meh:

I currently have an LG3000 and SKB3006 both with Spanish Cedar body. I've always liked the tone of mahogany so I might be leaning that way.

2. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Hey, Fred,

The "signature" version of each model gets you the "wedge" neck. And an extra $200 on top of that would get you the "wenge wedge" neck. Both of my personal basses have the wenge wedge neck, and it looks like this from the back:

3000-BACK.jpg

So the LG vs SKB decision is really just a question of which body shape you prefer. Either one can be a Signature IV (wedge or wenge wedge neck) or a 3000 (standard 3-piece neck). Heck, now they can even be Standard versions (non-carve top, 3-piece maple neck, etc.).

3. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
  4. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I was going to ask about the wenge wedge neck. It looks great. How does it differ tonally? I'm guessing not a lot and it depends on the other woods used.

I like both SKB and LG shapes.

Can the Roscoe 12th "fret" marker be cut into the diamondwood board?

5. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I had looked at the Roscoe site for what was available and they only have a pic of one (and I believe it's one that's been spoken for anyway).

That Bubinga top is beautiful for sure.

6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    In very general terms, I find that the higher wenge content in the wenge wedge neck adds some nice definition down low. The low notes aren't necesarily bigger, but they sound more clear. I'm a big fan :)

I'm not sure about the feasability of the 12 fret marker in diamond wood... Gard?

7. 12th fret inlay on fretless = BAD IDEA

...sorry, we won't do it, because eventually it will get jacked up and will not only look like poop, it will also cause the bass to have sonic issues in the area around the inlay.

On tops, that particular bubinga Greg posted is reserved.

By Greg.

:ninja:

(IOW, it's available...)

8. CliffD

CliffD Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    I just think the wenge wedge neck looks cool and adds structural support, my old CSVI's neck barely ever moved. If you dig spanish cedar I'd go with that for the body. I'd go with bubinga for the top (and back) as it adds what most of us want in a fretless, mids.

I'd love to offer more advice but then it'd just be me telling you what I want in a fretless, and we'd have a Century Signature VI with top and back woods and bartolini whatnot with at a damn fiesta and margaritas, Greg working the bar and Gard walking around in a poncho with a sombrero and who knows! You can't go wrong!

9. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Well, it IS Friday, and I AM thirsty... fiesta, anyone?

10. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well, if that's the way you're going to be about it, then I don't want it.

:D

11. In my present condition even one of YOUR "beers" might affect me...damn Thursday night gigs...got home at 3 am, up at 6:45, walk the mutts, take a shower, in to the shop...I'm running on fumes right now, I tell ya...FUMES!!!

;)

12. :rollno:

...touchy, touchy, touchy...

:scowl:

;)

13. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    THAT SIR, is a beautiful backside. :bag:

14. I've always said I'm an ASH man.

:eek:

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Indeed, what man can say no to a hot piece of ash.....

16. bassmanjla

bassmanjla

Feb 16, 2010
    Hollywood, CA
    I was actually admiring that chocolate flavor.

17. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I'm going to ignore my low-brow comic sensibilities and let this comment stand on it's own... Ash? Chocolate? Too easy :)

But thanks for the compliment, I do really enjoy both of my necks. They were both cut from the same block, so they look almost identical. That's a total vanity point, but I dig it anyway.

Here are both of my basses... from behind... :bag:

3000-BACK.jpg
    3006-BACK.jpg

18. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Go for the bubinga with the diamondwood maple board Fred! It sounds awesome combined with an ash body on a fretless.

And man! That is a very nice looking piece! :eek:

....a bit similar to mine.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021