Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Ebonal Fingerboard Is Impervious?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Jan 15, 2005.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I heard from the seller that my MTD Kingston 5 Fretless has an Ebonal Fingerboard and, because of this, I won't NEED to use flatwounds in order to keep it from getting major scratches and dents. Is it true that using roundwounds won't hurt the Ebonal Fingerboard?

-Eric.

2. It will wear better than say rosewood, but I don't think it will be completely impervious to wear... eventually you will probably get some light grooving (not to be confused with the other kind of grooving).

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I don't believe so; roundwounds scratched up the fretboard on my Cort Curbow pretty good.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    That's what I thought. The seller must be mistaken, at least a little. I think I'd rather get an upright bass tone more than anything else.

Thanx.

5. vikunja

vikunja

Oct 29, 2004
    Norway
    I'm starting to see markings on my MTD Heir ebonol neck, lets just hope that it will remain markings a while longer and not make any dents!

6. vikunja is right, once the roundwounds make their initial marks, it pretty much stops.