1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fretless effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mwbonsall, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    Anyone have a suggestion for and effect unit that has a really good fretless sound??

Thanks for any response in advance.

Mark

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I suggest a fretless bass.
    Not much to do out of this.

3. I'd put this device in the same category as Unicorns and Oompa Loompas.

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, you could try a pitch shifter that allows you to do minor changes in pitch like a DigiTech Whammy, or maybe a Flanger or something.

Other than that, get a fretless. There's somethings that just can't be emulated.

-Dash

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    That's what I'd do if I wanted a fretless sound... Though, I was looking a the Boss GT-6B and there is an effect called "defretter". The ME-50B might have it to. But, is this effect any good...

Anyone?

6. basically the fretless sims only add a slow attack to your sound, but they don't really have that same dynamic as a real-deal fretless...I am not a big fan of them...how much are you willing to pay for a fretless effect? because rondo music has some at really affordable prices ($110-$150) and if you are looking to pay a hundred bucks for a decent fretless effect pedal (whose existance is contested) you could just save up a few more dollars and get an SX fretless bass...just an idea :)

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ That FL 8 string looks facinating!

8. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    Well, you need a bass, a god knife and some plastic pudding. Pull off the frets and fill the lines... That is absolutely the best fretless effect... :cool:

9. yeah, octave 8 strings are very cool, but then add some fretless...:)

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Boss GT-6B has a fretless effect. It doesn't sound too much like a fretless to me, but it does eliminate most fret buzz.

11. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
  12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I get this tone out of my fretted without any effect.
    It doesn't sound like a fretless at all.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How the heck does that Neuser work? I can't figure it out, and the site doesn't say (in English, anyway). But the sound sample is pretty cool.

14. The BP50, BP80, and BP200 all have a fretless effect.

15. the neuser thing is cool

16. Axel F

Axel F

Mar 2, 2005
    Loughborough, UK
    When I think of a 'fretless sound' I think of a fretless bass and nylon strings. There ain't an effects pedal in the world that can give you that sound from a fretted bass. I'd strongly advise anyone who wants to get a fretless sound to buy a nylon strung fretless bass. You won't be dissapointed. :)