Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Electronics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BeyondSounds, Jun 20, 2005.

1. BeyondSounds

BeyondSounds

Mar 28, 2004
    I am currently building a 4 string fretless bass.
    I have a custom hand built body with a fretless P bass neck (fender).
    I will be drilling holes in the body for the pot controls, but i don't know what controls to have.
    I will be using a single musicman style pickup (hopefull Basslines), so i wont need any pickup fade/switch controls or anything like that.

I am thinking of having something a bit like the NE-1 style parametric EQ's found on some of the Yamaha basses. - I currently own a yamaha BB604 so i can copy the electrics from that.
    As well as this i'll have bass and treble controls as well as a main volume control.

I will mainly use the bass for studio recordings, so to be fair i wont really need many (if any) EQ controls as i can add EQ easlily at the mixdown and a higher quality sound is more important.
    The only this is more control pots look cool! (and i enjoy producing differnet sounds when practicing.)

I will need some EQ controls as i will do some giging with the bass.

My question is, what controls would you recommend having? Is there anything else that could be usefull?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    and then two sentences later ...
    Rich,

Ya lost me here buddy ...
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

what is it you want to do?

R

3. BeyondSounds

BeyondSounds

Mar 28, 2004
    The bass will mainly be used in the studio - so sound quality is more important than the amount of controls, however i will (from time to time) gig with it - meaning some controls will be useful.

I'm not sure what to do! - hence the question!

4. RopStop

RopStop

Oct 5, 2003
    Two pots for a musicman style humbucker... and the rest is up to you:

1 extra volume, treble, mid and bass?

Or just volume and tone?

Or a stacked bass/knob?

Or a stacked volume/volume?

Depends on what you want.

5. - I would think a sweepable midrange control would be useful. Midrange is where you get a lot of that fretless 'mwah', if I'm not mistaken(700hz or so, I think).

6. I've gotten some amazing sounds out of the Steve Bailey 'Fundamental Fretless' active system (also from Duncan). Although a sweepable mid would be great.

7. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    Considering moving the jack to the side for a mid and having stackable bass+treble..Just need to decide which preamp system to go for... btw thats an original 70`s Musicman pickup, warmoth ebony board neck with pearl inlay , warmoth nitro-laquer body, schaller and badassII. Think the pots are just leftover from a Jazz.

Attached Files: