Fretless Electronics

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BeyondSounds, Jun 20, 2005.

1. BeyondSounds

BeyondSounds

Mar 28, 2004
    I am currently building a 4 string fretless bass.
    I have a custom hand built body with a fretless P bass neck (fender).
    I will be drilling holes in the body for the pot controls, but i don't know what controls to have.
    I will be using a single musicman style pickup (hopefull Basslines), so i wont need any pickup fade/switch controls or anything like that.

I am thinking of having something a bit like the NE-1 style parametric EQ's found on some of the Yamaha basses. - I currently own a yamaha BB604 so i can copy the electrics from that.
    As well as this i'll have bass and treble controls as well as a main volume control.

I will mainly use the bass for studio recordings, so to be fair i wont really need many (if any) EQ controls as i can add EQ easlily at the mixdown and a higher quality sound is more important.
    The only this is more control pots look cool! (and i enjoy producing differnet sounds when practicing.)

I will need some EQ controls as i will do some giging with the bass.

My question is, what controls would you recommend having? Is there anything else that could be usefull?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    and then two sentences later ...
    Rich,

Ya lost me here buddy ...
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

what is it you want to do?

R

3. BeyondSounds

BeyondSounds

Mar 28, 2004
    The bass will mainly be used in the studio - so sound quality is more important than the amount of controls, however i will (from time to time) gig with it - meaning some controls will be useful.

I'm not sure what to do! - hence the question!

4. RopStop

RopStop

Oct 5, 2003
    Two pots for a musicman style humbucker... and the rest is up to you:

1 extra volume, treble, mid and bass?

Or just volume and tone?

Or a stacked bass/knob?

Or a stacked volume/volume?

Depends on what you want.

5. - I would think a sweepable midrange control would be useful. Midrange is where you get a lot of that fretless 'mwah', if I'm not mistaken(700hz or so, I think).

6. I've gotten some amazing sounds out of the Steve Bailey 'Fundamental Fretless' active system (also from Duncan). Although a sweepable mid would be great.

7. oyvind2305

oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Norway
    Considering moving the jack to the side for a mid and having stackable bass+treble..Just need to decide which preamp system to go for... btw thats an original 70`s Musicman pickup, warmoth ebony board neck with pearl inlay , warmoth nitro-laquer body, schaller and badassII. Think the pots are just leftover from a Jazz.

Attached Files: