Fretless: Elixers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zilla04, Jun 16, 2004.

1. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    Hi folks, I don't post here often.... but I know I can always find good info! :D :bassist:

I just bought a Fretless Fender Jazz Bass for $250 (A GREAT Deal!) but I need to put new strings on it. I have a brand new set of Elixers (Lights, with the Polyweb coating) and I was wondering if it would be alright to put them on it.

They're roundwound, so they're gunna chew up the fretboard.... but the polyweb coating cuts down on alot of the roughness, so I'm wondering if that would greatly reduce the wear on my fretboard.

Also, what are the brightest flatwounds out there?
    I've heard alot of good things aboot tapewounds.... what exactly does "tapewound" mean? Can I use them on a standard Fretless Jazz Bass?
  2. Elixirs would be fine on a fretted, the coating would soften the blow of rounds on a board.

The brightest flats you are going to be able to find are probably TI jazz flats.

And tapewounds are probably the deadest of all strings, as they are spun with nylon tape type stuff to make a string.
  3. Sure, you can use Elixirs on your fretless; they won't chew up the board too much. The brightest flats I've encountered are Rotosounds; they are also the roughest textured flats I've found. Tapewounds are very thumpy sounding.
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I have used Elixir strings exclusively on my Acacia fretless four string for the last ... four years, I think. During that time I have used three sets of Elixir PolyWeb bass strings. They sound great forever. I only change them when the polyweb stuff starts to fall off in flakes. With my playing style, my current set has lasted a year and a half. Great stuff.
  5. zilla04, great score on the Fretless Jazz?

I suggest the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats for this bass. I feel they are the brightest flatwound made. TI's also keep their clean, bright tone for a long time, longer than most flats on the market.

Jazz Flats

Here's a photo, this shows you what a tapewound string is. See Attachment.

TapeWound is a wrapped string with a taper core which allows the exposed core wire to rest directly on the bridge saddle.

6. 1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    :eek: I use Elixirs Nanoweb on my fretless Godin A5F with great success, Medium gauge, tough as nails, great tone, not too hard on ebony board.

:cool: deBassMan
  7. .....uh...not exatly...a tapewound string is a steel core,flatwound string with a black "tape" for winding.(kinda like a flatwound dipped in vinyl)they come stock on a Ric fretless and is not TAPERWOUND. or "stepwound" or "exposed core"..they are a totaly different animal..they produce a "upright" like sound,fat and warm w\ no string noise or any kind of brightness at all,but very gentle on fingerboards...if you want bright,go with TI flats or maybe a "half round" or "groundwound"type of string like what comes on fender fretless,they should be brighter than a standard flatwound and will save a little face on your fingerboard