Fretless Epoxy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kraig99, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Any suggestions on what type or brand of epoxy I should use to coat afretless fingerboard? The fingerboard wood is ebony if that makes any difference. Thanks!
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I performed this procedure twice with System 7's T-88. I will never do it again with T-88, if I ever coat another board at all. Sheldon Dingwall recommended to me a Canadian brand, Industrial Formulators G3.

Let me just warn you that this procedure isn't generally very fun, and can in fact be very frustrating. Make sure you mix the epoxy VERY thoroughly, make sure you pop all the little bubbles before it sets. Also, you'll need a radiused sanding block or something similar to level the epoxy after it dries. Oh, and try to do it you only have to apply epoxy once, or you will see faint lines at the countours where the subsequent coats meet.
  3. I have one of Sheldons epoxy coated fingerboards on my fretless Dingwall. If I recall he somehow builds a dam around the fingerboard, lays down the epoxy, lets it dry, then sands its down to 1-2/16th thick.

No idea what type of epoxy it is. So I guess what Matt says is correct