Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless F-Bass owners

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hexbass, Mar 20, 2001.

1. I love my six string F-Bass, but am less than enthusiastic about the La Bella "Super Steps" that came on the bass. With the piezo p/u in the bridge I like the idea of exposed core or Piano string design or "taper core" strings. Has anyone tried any other strings with these basses?

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Sorry, no experience with F basses, but Labella Supersteps on the other hand.....Yuck! There are much better strings available than those....DR comes to mind.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You might want to try some Dean Markley SR2000s. Funky guages, but im sure you could order some normal ones. They are tapered on the BEAD, but not exposed like the LaBellas.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to own a F fretless, no piezo though. And I used alembic string on it. I just thought they where made for that bass.
    On a piezo, it's not a good idea to use exposed core string. That's what I heard, but I know George and Alain don't think the same way....