Fretless fender dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by handsomeman858, Jul 7, 2004.

1. handsomeman858

Apr 26, 2004
    Ok, as of now I'm working a summer job so I don't have to use my squier for another year. What I want to get is a Fender fretless american deluxe jazz bass. But I can't find a store (online or local) that carries another color besides black or sunburst. I am so tired of looking at black basses and I might as well get a jaco bass if I get sunburst. I know it's vain but if I'm gonna work all summer for this I'm going to get something I like to look at.

Is there a way that I can get ahold of fenders custom shop or is there an online store that holds them? Or am I gonna have to go with Musician's friend and wait 8 months for it to deliver? :help:
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    A custom colour might cost a fair chunk of cash, but I'm sure you could get it. If you REALLY want a different colour, I'm sure you could get it refinished after buying it, that way you get exactly whatever colour you want.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You could always buy an American Deluxe Jazz of your color choice and have it defretted - this would be far less than going through Fender's custom shop, and even less than a professional refinish of a factory fretless.

The only downside is that I believe you'd void the warrantee, but that would happen with a refinish anyway.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Blech. Defretting? I think a good fretless neck would be much better than a dumb colour. Defrets are NEVER as good as the real thing.
  5. I know sunburst may not be your thing, but I got a '97 Fender Am.Dlx. Jazz Bass Fretless off of eBay a couple years back. With an ash body and the 3-tone sunburst finish, it's quite a looker. It also sounds wonderful.

I'd say, if Fender doesn't make what you want, get a Warmoth or USACG bass. Get the parts and build it yourself or have someone like Nino Brown do it.
  6. handsomeman858

Apr 26, 2004
    Nino brown :confused:

I don't trust myself with buying the parts then building it, and I don't trust my local shop as far as I can throw them(bad repair experiences, long story :rollno: )
    How much would a refinish cost and where would I have it done? My local guitar shop :( .

Sorry I don't know all of this stuff. This is my first experience in purchasing a non-starter bass.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
  7. I don't even think the American Deluxes come in fretless anymore, or else you could have gotten some nice colors. The colors you mentioned are the ones available for the American series fretless. The Custom Shop will probably charge you a thousand bucks for a different color option.
  8. It depends on who does it, but you can expect that a good, professionally done refinish will run you at least $300. That would be for a plain, opaque solid color. Sunbursts, translucent finishes and metallic or metalflakes will run more. If you have somebody defret a neck, the side position markers will not be in the correct position and I don't know about you, but that would confuse the hell out of me!