1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Fretless Fender Jazz Bass Special, MIJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ricky_K, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Ricky_K

Ricky_K Rick K Supporting Member

May 14, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Price:
    $560
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    MIJ Fender Jazz Special in great condition. Gloss black with matching headstock and a beautiful rosewood board. Appears to be all original. Electronics all functional--vol vol tone and 3-position PU selector switch. All caps on the knobs are intact. High mass bridge has the dark green finish. Just under 9 pounds according to my scale. Serial number dates back to 87-88. Neck is straight, truss rod functional, strung with flats.

Finish is in great condition except to the following small blems: a right angle crack in the black finish on the back, 2 dings on the back of the headstock and a couple of string-end scratches on the front of the headstock. All photographed.

No trades as I am making room for a F-Bass. $560 includes a gig bag, sturdy packaging & shipping to the CONUS.

1.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG 6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG 9.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 2.JPG

2. Fxpmusic

Fxpmusic

Jul 5, 2013
    I have an 87. Awesome bass!

3. Ricky_K

May 14, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    I heard from a pro player and collector that the 1980s vintage basses are very well made. When I brought it in for a set-up to Steve, the guitar tech at Willie's in St. Paul, he said one one weak point in these basses is the minor electronic parts--pots and switch. There are no issues with this one. The gloss black & rosewood combination is too cool. No fret lines, obviously, but side dots at the notes ...

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I really really want this. The price is great. The timing is just off though.

5. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

These '80s MIJ Fenders are sweet. This is a great price on a very nice players bass. If you're looking to add a PJ and/or a fretless to your arsenal, this is A LOT of bang for the buck.

6. Ricky_K

May 14, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks guys. I just want to get what I have into it.

I just pulled it out of the case and played it. Both PUs full, tone down to 1/2--very very solid. I forgot how nicely low the action is. '...Why am I selling this?'

7. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    Just wow.... Jazz width neck?

8. Ricky_K

May 14, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    You are correct, sir. 1.5" at the nut.

9. Ricky_K

May 14, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Still available. It's calling you.

10. I have one of these fretless JBS necks on a different body, and it's a really great neck, probably my favorite.

11. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Pm'd!

12. Ricky_K

May 14, 2013
    St. Paul, MN
    Sold to the man from Vancouver, whose wife wanted him to buy another bass.