Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless Fender Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tampabass, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    any thoughts on what I should pay for a fretless Fender Jazz (post-Leo)? This one plays well, and sounds good.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You're going to need a bit more info beyond 'post Leo'. That covers a lot of years, eras, models, and countries of manufacture.

3. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    That's the only info I have on it now.
    any ideas on ballpark prices?

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

Unfortunetly, thats not enough info. Is it made in the USA, mexico, japan? Aproximately when was it made? You can probably just check musicians friend for new prices, so you can extrapolate from there.

5. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Okay, I'll try asking it another way.

How much would you be willing to pay for a good Jazz Fretless, probably circa the late '80s, that plays well and sounds like a good Jazz Fretless should (regardless of country of origin, since that's not always an indicator of quality)?

I played this once, quite a while ago, and it seemed like it was in great shape (and good action, good tone). At the time, though, I didn't inspect it closely, or ask the owner questions about it, etc.

Just trying to get an idea about its value before I go to the guy's house with cash in hand.

thanks for any input regarding price range.

I owned a great-sounding P-bass fretless years ago.

6. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Unfortunately, my man, this IS an indicator of quality.
    And I'm sure you won't pay the current market price of an used MIA discovering later that you just brought home a used MIM.

7. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    re: country of origin.
    I beg to differ -- I've played some American-made Fender basses that are awful, and some foreign-made Fenders that were great.
    From my experience, with Fender there's a great variation in quality, even for the same basses made the same year in the same country.
    But, hey, more info is better ...
    I've only owned two Fender basses -- my first, when I was a kid, was bulky, boomy POS Telecaster ... later, as I mentioned, I had a great P Fretless.
    thanks for your input

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It certainly is an indicator of resale value. If the bass is late '80's, then it probably is a MIJ Jazz, and it's probably black or White, with a rosewood board. In excellent condition, that would be a $350-$500 bass (well, at least that's what I think). Now, if it's a MIA with a defretted or replacement neck on it, then you're on your own.

9. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Of course there are awful MIAs and great MIMs out there but generally speaking I'd refere to the MIA production as more consistent in terms of quality than MIM production.
    But, as danomite64 perfectly pointed out, country of origin certainly an indicator of resale value.
    Anyway experience taught me to look carefully at used Fenders.

10. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Michelle and Danomite -- thx for the feedback.
    Just found out that the neck is MIJ and the body is MIM.
    I'll probably check it out again this weekend, see if it plays as well as I remember and go from there.

11. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I meant, Michele and Danomite ...

12. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Just an FYI, there is a very clean, very slightly used Fender (MIM) fretless Jazz Bass at a Guitar Center up here for $375.
    Seems a fair enough price to me.

13. michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Well, swapping necks and bodies is the first trick that guys who make a living with used musical instruments learn.
    I could tell you hundred stories of prized vintage Fenders with necks made in Neaples (Italy) by people able to swap the strings of your shoes while you're walking! :D
    Anyway:
    1) a search in the "Basses for Sale" here will give you an idea about the average price of MIJ and MIM.
    2) have a closer look at the neck: is it warped? does the truss-rod work? there's any crack? what condition the fingerboard is in? etc.
    3) do you FEEL this bass? If yes, ask the guy to take off another 10% and go for it.
    Enjoy! ;)