Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Fender Jazz - Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kmrumedy, May 15, 2004.

1. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Hi,

I just purchased this mojo gem and it arrived today. It has greasy 30 year old smoked filled, beer soaked Dimazio's that is great for funk. However, the electronics don't maximize the natural tone of this bass.

http://xush.net/mywebpages/Xush Basses_files/funkafizer/funka.htm

I am modifying the bass and putting in a J-Retro preamp for more sonic choices. I was also thinking of experimenting with the pickups. I have always liked Bartolini's in fretless basses (though I am open to suggestions) but esthetically, I like the look of the cream pick up covers. I have never seen pickup covers in this colour for Barts. Do they make them or any 3rd party companies make cream coloured covers that fit with Barts?

Any good sites for these kinds of accessories would be welcome.

Last question - If you were going to put new pickups in this bass...which ones and why? (We all have our taates when it comes to tone....just curious.)

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

2. WHAT A SEXY BASS!!!!

very cool....

as for me, i recently went through a ton of pickups for my Fender Jazz Frettless and i settled on the DUNCAN ANTIQUITY II's.
    monster low end and the bridge soloed really brings out the "mhwa" (sp?) sound.

i also wired iut series/paralel and it kills.
    you can also use the cream covers on them if you like.

3. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Great suggestion. I will look at them now. Thank you.

Anyone else?