1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fretless Fender Jazz - Should I buy? (Pics included)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 22, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I work at a local guitar shop, and a used fretless Fender Jazz Bass came in yesterday, and they marked it $600 Used. I got an employee discount and they were willing to sell it to me for $500 plus a gig bag with a fuzzy pink interior :p. I was wondering what you guys thought about this possible upcoming purchase. They let me take it home for the weekend to try it out, and in the meantime I figured I'd post some pics and get some feedback from you guys. Bass is in good condition...of course nicks and scratches here, but they just put new flats on it and set it up real nice (action feels amazing). So here go the pics:

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1593/dc400011on4.jpg
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7779/dc400012bc0.jpg
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7082/dc400013uz4.jpg
    http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5400/dc400014tz8.jpg

Posted links because pictures were huge, didn't want to lag up the thread.

Thanks guys.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dont buy it just for the sake of buying it. However, if you need/want a fretless, sure!

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    +1!!

4. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I really REALLY have wanted a 4-string because my main is a 5-string, and I LOVE playing fretless basses. Regardless, I was just wondering if this is a good buy for the money (used as well)..I'm not sure about the quality of Fenders (not too familiar with them).

But yeah, I've always wanted a fender jazz in general, but fretless is the cherry on the sundae ^_^

5. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    That's a pretty decent price. I got my MIA for $450 (with OHSC) and considered that a steal so I'd say that $500 is a more than reasonable price assuming that the condition is acceptable to you.

This reminds me, I need to get off the computer and go put the next coat of epoxy on the fingerboard of that bass.

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a MIM fretless Jazz and it's a nice instrument. I'd rather have the unlined fingerboard but I'll get by...if you need a fretless, the J is a popular choice.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That looks like a Made in Japan Jazz bass from the 90s, or is it a MIM Jazz?. Where is i t made?

If it's MIJ, it's an excellent bass. The price is high IMO but if it's a special instrument it's not appallingly high.

8. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    DO IT.

9. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I have a very similar CIJ Jazz Bass, white with rosewood board. You won't go too far wrong with this one if you're looking for a good fretless bass.

10. If it is CIJ, I used to have one just like that and regret selling it still , I would buy it if it plays well. The last picture shows a high action, maybe it is just the picture though.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Looks like a nice bass, but I am a little perplexed by 2 things in the photos.

1) The ferrules around the tuners look very thin/wrong. Not saying it isn't a Fender, it just doesn't look MIM or MIA to me. Can anyone set me straight? :p

2) The space between the VVT knobs and the washers/control plate is big/strange/wrong. Do I see a nylon washer? Could just be me. :p

Obviously, these things have ZERO effect on how good a bass it is! Is this an MIJ and I am just ignorant? Could be.

But then....:ninja:

Just play it and decide if it is a good bass. :bassist:

PS I have an MIJ 1991 '51 RI.

12. Fretless Bill

Fretless Bill Supporting member

Sep 10, 2006
    Pacific NW
    My best sounding (and playing) fretless jazz is a MIJ.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1 prolly.....

I am not implying there is anything wrong with MIJ! Just trying to understand the photos. Are they an MIJ bass? :cool:

14. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    yeah its made in japan