Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless fingerboard buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by basss, Oct 16, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I've got a nasty buzz at the 1st "fret" on the D string on my fretless. The other strings are fine in this position so I don't think it's something a truss rod adjust would fix. The buzz only happens on the D string exactly where I need to put my finger to play an Eb in tune. If I move my finger slightly up or down the neck there is no buzz.

Is this something I can fix myself? Is it as simple as sanding the fingerboard just beyond the buzz? I don't mind doing it myself but I don't want to make it worse.

2. fatjbass

fatjbass

May 29, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    I have the same problem. I took the frets off of the neck and it happens in some areas and not others. My first thought was that I sanded down the neck unevenly, but I can't seem to get it right. Can anyone help?

3. It probably IS a slight inperfection in your board...you could check it with a high quality metal straight edge...

look, just raise your action a hair, the problem should go away...it's the D string so you should still get plenty of "mwah", because there just IS more on the D and G strings...

I'd sand only as a last resort and then oh so carefully with 400 grit...

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I would be extremely hesitant to try sanding out any imperfections.
    generally speaking, this is done by planing the board. Idealy. the same amount of material should be removed from the surface of the entire board to eliminate any dips in the surface.
    This is definitely not a job for the amateur. There is no way to put material back if you take off too much. Nonreversible repairs should be approached with extreme caution.

good luck.