Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless fingerboard buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fishface, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I have obtained a used fretless Fender Jazz (MIJ) a few months ago. This is my first fretless purchase. When I bought it the action was pretty high & I didn't think much of it.

After I bought it I took it home and I lowered the action to get some more mwah out of it. I now get some pretty noticable buzz at some fingering locations. I am assuming this is because of fingerboard wear from the previously installed roundwounds. (Let the buyer beware!)

I have tried to find a balance of an acceptable higher action and keeping some mwah, but haven't found it yet.

Any ideas on what can be done before going to the expense of dressing the fingerboard? And, if that is the only option, what would it cost?

Any thoughts on the would be greatly appreciated.

2. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    That's kind of what I thought. I was hoping somebody had a voodoo miracle cure that I didn't know about. (maybe garlic around the neck, it seems to work for vampires)

I have set up my basses before and have been able to take care of any problems before, but this is my first fretless and I wasn't entirely sure that I had done everything I could.

Is dressing the board a process best left to a professional? Is it something as simple as grabbing a radiused (sp?) sanding block & "goin' to town"? (Maybe that's just a stooopid question) :rolleyes: