Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless fingerboard coating

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by troll, Jul 12, 2004.

1. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Where can I get a fretboard coated? Anyone here do this type of work?

I have a wenge/walnut Cirrus 5 that has taken a beating since I have always run with the roundwounds. I have a nice divet in the fretboard under the G string, so everytime I go for a B there it buzzes and falls dead :(

I'd love to get it coated just like a Buzz, if even just because I would think it would make the thing come alive.

Any hints on where I can go to have this done, and costs, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Troll

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I recently had my Lakland Joe Osborn converted to fretless with the buzz fingerboard coating (called diamondkote) by the pedulla shop. I'm only a town away so I went and picked it up from Mike Pedulla. He did a great job, it was a bit pricey, but it's supposed to last a long *ss time. One thing to note though is that he recommends using only nickel strings. I'm a big fan of rotosounds, but at least they make a nickel set! Info is on their website, just google pedulla...
    It cost me 450 for the 4 string... Have you tried a buzz? Try one before you have it done, the coating may or may not be to your liking...I like it, Plays awesome, really warm and resonant. I'm finding I like the sound of plain wood better (my standby parts fretless with Lollar single coils and an ebony board) but I use rounds on that and it's often in the shop getting sanded. Good luck!

3. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Absolutely I have played a buzz, that's why I want it done :)

Well, that and the few years of abuse with rounds. I've always stuck with the cirrus nickels so that's no biggy either.

Do have it done by the man himself and done right the first time, I'm willing to spend the cash for sure. Guess I could just contact them directly through the site?

Troll