Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Fingerboard Protection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexssandro, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Firstly, I hope my post is acceptable in the bass forums.

I want to string my fretless with roundwounds and people have recommened that I apply a protective layer onto my fingerboard. I just called a tech and he told me that that would be expensive - like $250!

I have a number of questions:

1) What are my options as far as protective finishes go?

2) What is a reasonable price for the different processes.

3) What do you guys think about using roundwounds directly on my fingerboard without any kind of protective finish?

Thanks.

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I did that on my fretless for a while, it kinda scratched it up. I switched to flatwounds a while ago, so I'm not sure about the long term effects.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Applying a hard coating to the fingerboard will SERIOUSLY alter the sound of the bass. Not that it is a bad thing, but coated board plus rounds equals BRIGHT< BRIGHT< BRIGHT fretless.

I don't see any problem with using rounds on an unfinished board. If you play that bass exclusively and daily, you will probably have to have the board resurfaced every couple of years or so. (depending on your style, technique and which rounds that you decide on)

I would guess you could resurface a board 5-6 times before you would need to have it completely replaced. I think 10-15 years of regular use is reasonable.

If the bass shares time with a couple of others, you probably wouldn't ever have to replace the board.

Chas

4. Thanks, I might just end up using roundwounds on the unfinished board. It's my MIM Fender Jazz so it's not too expensive, plus it shares time with my fretted.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Put the rounds on (I'd recommend Nickel)
    Lighten you touch and turn your amp up (if necessary)
    Lower your action (if necessary)
    Watch your technique (don't bend strings, use a motion paraellel to the strings for vibrato)

Wear should be minimal at the worst
    Have fun

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think mine sounds and feels great that way so I'll stick with it.

I recommend nickel wound strings and a light touch.

Just stick with the sound of metal on wood and you won't go wrong.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I would say coat the fingerboard with marine epoxy and put on some rotosound strings :cool: