Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Five

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jimbo, Jul 20, 2001.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i want to expand my sound options and i'm looking to get a fretless five string. the only problem is i don't know where to start looking. if anyone could tell some makes and models, i'd really appreciate it. thanx.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How much are you looking to spend?

3. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i don't know how much money. just a resonable price.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 Fretless - $1600 ish

5. Check out the MTD Kingston fretless 5. Well im not %100 sure if they make a fretless 5, but i do know they make a fretless and a 5, so im guessing they make a fretless 5. You can probably snag one for a little less than $500 I'm sure Gard could help you out on that one.

6. Fender Roscoe Beck. End of discussion. :cool:

7. Warwick.
    Tightest B on a fretless, killer tone, killer playability.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...did somebody call me?|

Yes indeed, there is a fretless Kingston 5. It is available in any color, as long as it's black. :D The fingerboard is lined phenolic. The list price is $659, and Bass Central sells it fpr $460. There isn't one in stock right now, but ordering one is no problem (check seamus' post in "$600"). If you have any questions, just PM or e-mail me. If the fretted version is any indicator, the fretless will be incredible, killer B string.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fretless??

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good question, Brad.

I've not seen one of those either.

Another reasonably priced fretless 5 is the Cort Artisan.

Better than a lot of fretlesses that cost twice as much, IMHO.

11. Well, since I have one and I think it's a great bass, I'll put my vote in for a Lakland Deluxe 55-94 with ebony fretboard.:) You could probably get a nice used one for $1,600-1,800.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like the fretless Stingrays;they're good value for money. Some others:

Carvin LB75F: depends on options, $1000 nicely appointed.

Warwick Fretless Thumb: $1800 approx.

Pedulla Fretless Thunderbass: $1800 approx.

Zon Fretless Sonus: $1800 approx.

F Bass Fretless 5: $2500 approx. Used around $1800.

I might be off on some of the prices.

13. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    I enjoy Carvin fretlesses for any string number, though Im not as crazy bout Stingrays as the other guys. I like basses with deeper tones. (Go figure, been playin a lot of James Brown recently.)

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    May I add my voice to this question:

Fretless?

Apparently, that was just the beginning of the discussion. :D

Carvin and Ernie Ball make good 5ers... Pedullas are not too shabby either.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a couple that have been mentioned above: Pedulla Thunderbolt fretless 5, and Lakland 55-94 fretless. Two very different beasts. The Pudulla has a readily-available barky-growly kind of mwah ... unparallelled, in my opinion. Part of that may be due to the TI Jazz Flat strings on it. You have to coax this sound out of the Lakland, but it has a much broader overall tonal range. Again, the strings may play a role here, too ... the Lakland has their Osborn flats on it. These strings are not as bright. They're both fantastic. By the way, last time I was there, Bass Central had a beautiful trans-burgundy 55-94 fretless. Check it out. Is it still there, Gard?

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Munji -

Yeah, that Burgundy Lakland D-55 is still in the shop, and I still can't figure out why...great bass. Good deal on it too, if anyone's interested in it: $2250.

Another that hasn't been mentioned here is my personal favorite fretless 5: Zon Sonus Special. Not for everyone or everything, but man, I love mine (and my guitarist hates it, cuz he can't bury me anymore).

17. I agree with the basses mentioned above. Just shop around. I was in GC last weekend and they had a used fretless Fender P-bass (American) for around $450. It was in good shape. Personally, I haven't been too impressed with off-the-rack Fenders in the past, oh, 20 years or so :). And, I've never been much of a P bass fan.

However, this bass was incredible. The fretboard was perfectly straight and the setup was very low. Beautiful, singing tone. I was trying to think of any reason to justify buying that bass. It was excellent.

Anyway, I know you're not loking for a 4 string, but the moral is to shop around. Play as many basses as you can. If you live in or near a metro area, you should have several options. If you don't, plan a trip to the city. You can find bargains (one GC in Dallas was selling new Pentabuzz basses for $1200!) in both new and used basses.

If it were me and I couldn't spend more than $1500, I'd find a used Zon Sonus Custom... or maybe a Modulus Quantum... or a Lull or...

Jeff

18. Oops! My bad. :oops:

Okay, how's this? Turner Renaisance. End of discussion. :D

Of course you could get an RB5 and take it to a luthier and have it made into a fretless.