Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless - Flats vs. Rounds ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Big String, Mar 18, 2003.

1. I'm getting a new Lakland 4-94 Deluxe Fretless very soon and I"m not sure weather to string with flats or stay with rounds which is what I've always used on my fretted basses..

Brand suggestions would also be helpful

Thanks

2. There have been lots of threads about this, and a common compromise solution (one which I personally use and endorse) is to try groundwound/half-round strings. I use Status Hotwires groundwounds, and d'Addarios are very popular as well.

You get a more or less roundwound-like tone with virtually no fingerboard wear and a silkier feel on your fingers. What's not to like?

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I use Pedulla Nickle Rounds.
    I prefer the dynamics of rounds, but I can't use steel on my nylon fretboard.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Exactly what I would have said Pete, I love the D'Addario half-round for fretless, definately worth a try.

5. Thanks TBr's
    How's the tension on the ground wounds?
    This is my first fretless and I'm sort of clueless. I didn't have time to rifle through the other theads. :bawl:

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've tried flats, I've tried half-rounds, and at the moment, I'm back on rounds.

But it really depends on what kinda tone you want.

Round wounds have more growl, more edge - and give very nice mwah.

Whereas flats are "thicker" sounding, and more mellow. Flats will give you a more DB-like sound.

7. It really depends, but I've found that groundwounds are just a hair stiffer than roundwounds due to the greater mass in them before the compression/grinding process.