fretless for dummies (and me)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cole, Nov 12, 2000.

1. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    I'm thinking of trying to learn how to play fretless. and one thing I'd probably need for this would be a fretless bass. so, here's my options:

1. buy another bass. this would be the easiest option, but also the costliest. plus I don't want to hear my parents saying "you're buying ANOTHER bass?!".

2. buy a fretless neck or trade necks with someone. this is what I'd like to do. (er, anyone in need of a Fernandes neck?)

3. de-fret the neck on my Fernandes jazz bass. this is my least-desireable option, because it seems as if it'd be a lot of work.

what do you all think? do I have any other options?

2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

Yamaha has RBX260f that is fretless and goes for
    200 bucks. Perhaps you could find one as used.
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    You COULD de-fret it yourself(cheapest way); I did it to one of my jazz basses and am very pleased with the result. However, you may want to look at the other option of finding a used fretless or a cheapo fretted that you could experiment with defretting instead of screwing up your main bass. You may also find after yanking your frets that 100% fretless is not for you, and then you would be in the position of buying yet ANOTHER bass to get you back to where you were to start with. I like having both types and the versatility it offers.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Realistically, option 1 is your only option. You just won't be happy if you don't get a Pedulla ThunderBass fretless 5. I think I can track one down for you at a very good price.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    LOL, nice attempt at a subtle plug Munji. Hey, if it were a neckthru, itd be mine already.

And yeah, just find a cheaper bass to buy, fretless. I like the Yamaha idea.
  6. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    buy a fretless(like the Yamaha) try it out and see if "fretless" is for you. If it's not, sell it and your cost will be minimal!