1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless for me? Maybe...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RaijohAUlik, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Well, I've just re-proven my proof about my favorite music store being the bestest ever. Well, probably not, but they're great honest peeps. Anyway, I spent some quality time with an unlined PJ config Fretless Samick bass. It felt great, the strings straight on the wood....mmm....musically yummy. I fell in love with the sound, again.One of the guy who runs the store said I sounded pretty good, like I knew my way around the fretboard. Or, you could say, fretlessboard! I know, bad pun.

Anyway, the store carries a lot of high end stuff that I noticed since I've been going to these forums. I knew a lot of what to look for on the basses I played, like floppy B strings. This site really rules if you wanna talk bass. I even pointed this site out to a couple of guys at the store, the one who hung around the bass sectioin and another who was thinking of taking up bass.

I had a blast playing the fretless, but I also played a Cirrus 4 (As I said, they have a lot of high end stuff, and lots of Peaveys) and that was cool. I saw an Alembic Orion 5 there, but refrained from taking it down.

But of course, I have a few questions. Would the P/J configuration be decent for a beginning fretless? Or should I look around a bit more an try to find a J/J configuration? I'm a bass goat remember, so I need a bit 'o' input.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think that you answered your own question... :)

If you like the sound, go for it!

-robert

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    PJ good.

4. I run both pups on my smooth J at full, tone wide open. gets some nice growl from the bridge, and a nice smoothness from the neck.

FF