Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless for rock, pup ponderings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Not very common issue, is this? I've been using my now-fretless Kingston playing classic rock with decent-enough results, but I think it might be the time to swap the pup soon.

The standard pup is decent, but not the best for this kind of use I think. So I've been pondering for alternative: what I need is pup with defined lows and mids and smooth high end - my fretless tone is somewhat 'clanky' to make it cut thru the guitar-heavy mix, think something like Les Claypool's fretless slap tone but with more (tight) lows.

I can't really come up with many options. EMG 40DC seems to be available here, it's wide enough and slightly smaller than Kingston standard pup so it won't require any carving.

I would probably use it with passive electronics, would this present any kind of a problem, except to replace my present pots with 25k ones? (EMG does active P-replacements to use with passive pots, so I don't think it will.. )

Your opinions are, as always, appriciated.