1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fretless for rock, pup ponderings

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tsal, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Not very common issue, is this? I've been using my now-fretless Kingston playing classic rock with decent-enough results, but I think it might be the time to swap the pup soon.

The standard pup is decent, but not the best for this kind of use I think. So I've been pondering for alternative: what I need is pup with defined lows and mids and smooth high end - my fretless tone is somewhat 'clanky' to make it cut thru the guitar-heavy mix, think something like Les Claypool's fretless slap tone but with more (tight) lows.

I can't really come up with many options. EMG 40DC seems to be available here, it's wide enough and slightly smaller than Kingston standard pup so it won't require any carving.

I would probably use it with passive electronics, would this present any kind of a problem, except to replace my present pots with 25k ones? (EMG does active P-replacements to use with passive pots, so I don't think it will.. )

Your opinions are, as always, appriciated.