Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless for the money

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgiant15, Mar 15, 2006.

1. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Whats the best fretless for the money? I want to get one, but not spend a whole lot of money. What would be a good starter fretless that sounds pretty good? Thanks. :)

2. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    SX bass? www.rondomusic.net

Seems like we just cant enough of these suckers round here. Though, i'm not entirely sure about the quality of the sx fretless necks. what you can do is get one of the fretted versions, strip the frets and epoxy it to your liking. Very jaco. very jaco.

3. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I have an SX, and the fingerboard (lined) was fine, maybe not a million bucks worth, but still no turd. I will end up epoxying my bass mainly to brighten up the sound.

4. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  5. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    around 300 is what i would like to spend.

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Not sure it comes in quite at your price point, but the Dean Edge fretlesses are pretty damn good for the cash. You might be able to get hold of a used Cort Curbow on Ebay for that kind of money too... not huge on big bottom end, but great "mwah".

7. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    You beat me to it! :)

I've played a couple of fretless C/Curbows, and they were great. By far the best fretless in its price range. Aren't to many fretless basses available, though (at least here where I live... so not to much competition, maybe? :)

The fingerboard on the C/Curbow is ebonol (I think it's called) and is a very hard and durable surface. No need for any other finishing on that one. :)

8. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    wenge neck, Bartolini MK-1 pickups, great value.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Get a used fretless Fender Jazz MIM. I have one on the way to my house. It's totally worth the 300$.

10. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Is there really significant difference between the SX fretted and fretless necks? I ask because I just ordered a fretless SX (hasn't gotten here yet). I figured the fretless was just a fretted without the frets.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    For $300 you should be able to find a Dean Edge fretless. I've owned one, and I can guarantee it smokes any SX. Better build quality better components better everything. My Edge 5 was fantastic. If you find a Brice fretless at Rondo those are good, my V2 is the bees knees. The Rondo fretless neck I bought for my franken-PJ is total crap. Barely usable at all. I've played Cort Curbow fretlesses and they are great, too!

12. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    MIM Fender Jazz fretless. I'm a part-time fretless player so the lined board is perfect.

13. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i'll add the yamaha bb300f or bb350f to the list.
    great basses.

14. Big +1 on that one.

Great fretless.