Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fretless for under 2k

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vampyre, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Vampyre

Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    anyone have any ideas on some good fretless basses for under 2k?

i was playing my friends earlier today and am really interested in buying one. I have no idea where to start though..

thanks

2. Fender Jaco Signature fretless, Lakland Fretlesses, EBMM Stingray/Sterling Fretless, Used Pedullas, many many more. You've got a pretty good price cap there and plenty to choose from. I'm sure others will post a litany of basses.

I am, of course, assuming that you're talking US$ here.

3. I'm getting a valenti fretless in about a month that cost me significantly under 2k. if you don't buy one by then, i'll have a review up for it...though i'm sure it's gonna rock...hard.

4. Stambaugh. It's worth the wait, as well as worth more than the asking price. A basic model can be had for under two Gs.

5. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Get an SX and pocket $1800? :bag:

6. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
  7. Honestly, one of the coolest fretless basses I've ever played was the Warwick Corvette. However, I'm dying to check into a Gary Willis sig from Ibanez. Also, you might could find a used ZON for that much on the 'bay or elsewhere.

~Ryan

8. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    :rollno:

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    fretless musicman sterling. the tone begs to be a fretless.

10. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    g&l l2000 fretless...very good basses.

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll add Spector Euros to the growing list. They can be had lined or unlined and are under $2k. You should have no problem finding what you want with that kind of budget. I would also check out a Fretless Thumb or Corvette from Warwick. I'm not a Warwick fan but Fretless Thumbs are really sweet.

12. I have a 1990 Warwick Thumb 5 NT FL for sale. The price is $1900 and doesn't include shipping and handling. It is in immaculate condition, and comes with a Warwick Hard Case.

Here are some pictures.

- Wil

13. Fender MIM Jazz fretless - not too expensive (compared to some "high end" basses people use on here) about £500 (not sure how much in dollars) - some people would say get it so you don't waste money if you end up never using it, I say get it coz mexican Fenders are comparable to (some actually BETTER than) USA models but cost about half the price... ;) ;) :cool:

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They arent comparable to USA models.

15. that depends on weather you played a really good one or not...guess I was lucky, didn't really shop around - tried a few out in the shop and just so happened to pick a keeper (i prefer it slightly over my japanese jazz anyway...its pickups are really hot with absolutely TONS of bass/mids, its better than my other (5-string) mexican jazz anyway) :p

16. +1. Got a used Warwick fretless for under a grand, and loved it! I'm in the process, now, of upgrading to a 5-string Warwick. Check the used stuff out. You can find all sorts of stuff around.

17. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    The Standard series are not........BUT

The Classic Series are absolutely comparable to US models.

18. If you're buying your FIRST fretless, I wouldn't suggest spending 2,000 on it. Get like a Standard Fender or something like that. A Standard Jazz bass is only like 400 but it sounds good, plays great, and a great starter fretless.

19. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Fender CIJ 62 Re-issue Jazz Fretless........one of the best fretless basses I have owned! $716US from Japan to Florida! Well under your budget....

If you are interested in a 5-string fretless, I highly recommend Carvin's B5F series. The ebony fretboard on the one I owned was a work of art.

[​IMG]

20. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    1st choice: Warwick Corvette Standard
    2nd choice: used Zon Sonus. They have THE fretless tone. Incredible basses, tons of sustain and plenty of mwah.