Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fretless Found!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chace90, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Very nice, I can hear the "mwah" from hear :) . Gotta like the brass nut, too. Congrats!

3. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    It's here!!!!!!!!!! Got a call from my Dad saying there was a big package waiting at home. Of course I couldn't resist so I drove home and picked it up. Don't have photo's yet but you can bet I will when I get a cam. It's amazing. Needs a little setup work, but no big deal. An awesome find on my mthpoole's part (he's the one who alerted me of the bass cause he knew I was in search.) Enough talk, time to play.

Neil

4. Very nice :)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There's a neck-through fretless Thumb four in my local Sam Ash for the same price. It plays and sounds very nice, but there are position markers at EVERY fret, which really threw me off. Is this the deal with all Thumb fretlesses, because my Corvette fretless only had them at the standard spots?

6. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This is a Fretless from 1990. There's only side dots for the usual frets. 1,3,5, etc. Is that sam ash bass new?

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...but I need a 5 with lines. Great bass. Thumbs are killer basses.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    [​IMG]

What's up Neil? Congratulations!

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The one at the Sam Ash was used, although I didn't think to read the serial number on the headstock to find out the year. It had double markers on the 12th and 24th frets, but a single marker on every other fret. Really through me off; felt like a total newbie having to count them to find what position I was at.

10. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think there was a similar bass on ebay a while ago. I think they had someone put in markers for every fret. Definetly too confusing for me. Might as well line it, makes more sense. It's possible that the guy who bought decided he didn't like it. That one was almost mine too, but I couldn't secure the funds. Glad I waited though, this one is a great discovery and a great price too!

11. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    My '91 has standard (1, 3, 5, etc) markers. Lined fretless fingerboards throw me off. I start watching the lines and forget where I am on the neck.

Neil,

It is a '90? I thought it was a '88-'90 from the pictures, but I forgot to ask what year it actually was.

12. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Mine's a 90. I played it a little tonight with a group. Sounds pretty good. Haven't had time to play with the amp EQ to get things set I the way I want them. I'll probably change the pickups and pre eventually when I have more money. We'll see, maybe that won't be necessary.